1. Mentions witches.
2. Has a sword on it.
3. Look at those crazy numbers! What’s that all about?
4. Well designed shoes.
6. I mean, for real..those numbers! They are so interesting and strange. I’ll be the author is pretty cool. And handsome.
7. That girl looks pretty mean. I’ll bet she’s a badass.
8. What’s up with that kid’s hair? Ha ha ha…I mean, really.
9. Where can I get some of those shoes?
10. Ten reasons seems pretty arbitrary.
11. Why not eleven?
12. Seriously, kid. Get a comb.
13. It’s not hip. It’s not cool. It’s not edgy or geek chic or expansive. It would look completely out of place next to a Wheel of Time cover, a Game of Thrones cover, and the Name of the Wind cover. It would look completely out of place on the Fantasy shelf at Barnes & Noble. And that’s the point.
14. It’s simple. It’s clean. It’s dorky. It delights me that people who read the paper version will be slightly embarrassed to have people see the cover. It raises a giant Nerd Flag and waves it for all the world to see.
15. Wait. What’s the weird little symbol on the spine? Mysterious.
16. It’s distinct, it’s different, it’s memorable.
17. Kind of like that kid’s hair.
18. For better or worse the cover is exactly what I want. It’s exactly what you’ll find inside. A weird, off-kilter world just shy of a cartoon fever dream. Things are silly, things are odd, things are real. Silly things matter even though they shouldn’t.
19. Oh, hey! It’s got witches in it.
6 thoughts on “A Succinct List of Why the Spell/Sword Cover is Awesome.”
This is gonna be awesome! I love the cover and layout and your back cover blurb! Did you write that?
I did! It’s a modified version of my Pitch from the Amazon contest.
Good job. It is a lot of fun and enticing. Good luck with the promotion! 🙂
Where do I get the shoes?
If I only knew. In my artist’s head, I guess.
[…] his stack of ink-daubed napkins with pride. “I’ve prepared a solid list of reasons why Spell/Sword sucks. As soon as I post this online, the world will know that it sucks, and we can go back to our […]